Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Our curriculum

Let me just say the beginning of this journey was very overwhelming.  There is a wealth of information out there which is great but it's a lot to take in.  On top of that there are a million different ways to home school.  I wasn't real sure where we fit in that spectrum.

So I  did a lot of researching, talking, and reading lots of things and tried to figure out what would work for myself and my children and was something we could afford.

We started with http://www.accelerated-achievement.com/ and I do believe that Paul R. Stone helped in the right path to knowing how to go about homeschooling and gave me lots of insight on the matter.

But I also wanted to start with a separate math curriculum. We went with Right Start Mathematics for vary various reasons, which I while explain later!


What I learned very quickly..

-I am not a good planner, and being so new to this, I felt a little lost.  I needed more direction.

-After lots of research and praying I decided that we could really benefit from All About Learning Press' spelling and reading program. I eventually went with my heart and used the little bit of photography money I had to buy it. I am so very glad I did it!!! It's awesome!

-Right Smart Mathematics, I was happy with it in the beginning and I am STILL happy with it! We love it! It's hands on, it's learning by understanding rather than memory. There is a huge difference in our kids since starting!

-We are using Pandia Press for our science. We decided to start with Life science and the kids really enjoy it so far.

-We are using Confessions of a Homeschooler for our geography/history ad starting with Road trip USA. I am really satisfied with everything Erica puts together!

For those of you who want to know more about each subject and what we like or don't like I will be working on that very soon!


Reading/Spelling  www.allaboutlearningpress.com
Math http://rightstartmath.com/
Science http://www.pandiapress.com/
US Geography www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

 
Rach Siggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Simply Suburban | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012